Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Aerial Overhaul


Remembrance day is a holiday in Manitoba... as far as I can remember this is not the case in Ontario. Most people have the day off from work and school and the streets are slightly more full than on a typical day in the city (I am still struck by the relative emptiness of the sidewalks, there are typically lots of people speeding around in cars but very few pounding the pavement). It was nice, somehow the weather is really mild here still (Climate Change perhaps!!!:( ) and I am trying to soak it up because as I have been told countless times 'it will not last'. And when it does finally pass, myself and the rest of Winnipeg will be immersed in a brutally cold and unforgiving winter-- this prospect haunts me!! I have, of recent, taken to walking Toad along the river, it is really peaceful and makes me happy to be here. Apparently you can skate on the rivers throughout the winter, I am so looking forward to this.

School has got me all worked up and excited about Narrative therapy and I am finally making exciting connections between my years of feminist theory studies and narrative therapeutic practices. This is pretty much exactly what I want to be thinking about! My instructor, Libby, picked up on my interest in this relationship (between narrative and feminist theory) and brought some books from her home collection that she thought I might find interesting... I am devouring them! Next weekend I am doing a workshop just on Narrative practices, I will write more on the topic after that. Though maybe people (readers) find this sort of thing boring??? I never know...

Last night I had my first flying dream. I am really thrilled about this. To be entirely honest, I have gone through some whirlwind emotional experiences lately and it has been feeling like my internal world was being overhauled-- for better or for worse.?. So, it's seems somewhat symbolic to me that I was given the gift of an aerial dream. Significantly, I was flying over a men's soccer game and the guys in the game were looking up at me and laughing--- but I kept on flying nonetheless and I remember thinking how effortless the whole thing was, it sort felt like swimming but even easier.

I feel more and more like I am actually living here. Waking up in the morning no longer comes with the same jolt of surprise. This is both reassuring and disconcerting. Though, admittedly I am counting down the days till I return home for a visit--- 29 days left!

Finally, I strongly recommend the new(ish) Bill Callahan album, titled: 'Sometimes I wish we were an Eagle)... it is fucking gorgeous. In my opinion the second song should go down in history, it is so creative and feeling and musically perfect. Pick it up, for real.

Loving y'all.

2 comments:

  1. I ain't never gonna get bored of "narrative " -
    or flying dreams for that matter!!!

    they are just like november sunshine days in Winnipeg - a treasure to soak up - naturally accompanied by ground hecklers

    (earth must be made of particulate heckle - it is probably part of the look up reflex - to heckle - i.e. look-up and heckle)

    ReplyDelete