Wednesday, September 2, 2009

More on the importance of PEOPLE


It's an unusual challenge to not know anyone in an extremely friendly town. Considering that it is only my first week here it is truly remarkable how many people I have met. I have had at least one plan every day or evening since I have been here. These plans have been with people who typically have at least more than one degree of separation between myself and them and yet they are willing to take time from their lives to meet up! This level of friendliness is striking to me... I am not sure that I have encountered such warm welcomers up to this point in my life, a realization that has stirred some questions in my already question-ridden mind.

Encountering the warmth and generosity of these Winnipegers has generated an equal mix of relief and discomfort. Why the discomfort? The first reason that I can attribute to this (a reason that became crystalized for me through a long distance phone conversation with Noah... thanks Noah) is that I am simply not accustomed to this level of openess among virtual strangers and although I am thrilled that it exists, I find myself feeling insecure and even suspicious in it's presence! Ridiculous, I know. How is it possible that these interesting, established, funny, etc. folks actually want to meet me for coffee/lunch/drinks? They don't even know me. Moreover they already have friends, they don't need more. Anxiety soaked queries such as these rattle my brain before, during and after these otherwise very enjoyable little encounters with these warm hearted peggers.

This week of welcoming has none the less made a real impression on me. Next time, I am settled in a town, be it back in Toronto, here or elsewhere, and I hear of a newcomer I will most certainly extend invitations. Before moving here, I am not sure I had such conviction about this topic...I am not sure I even thought of it much. Living in Toronto I am so entirely enveloped with friends and family that I am not sure I step back and make an effort to include less integrated peeps-- then again, maybe I do I just have never considered the role it might have played in someone's life? Hard to say what it is you do socially when you are comfortable and everything is laid out for you (such as it was for me in Toronto), it's only when you shift things up and temporarily lose your day to day contacts and supports that your become conscious of how really important people are and how you have navigated the social realms so far.

In other matters, I have begun the job search for real. I have quite a few postings, some that I have found on my own and some that have been sent to me by the friendly locals, and tomorrow I intend to getting the cover letter factory rolling. Cover letters in the land of social services are a huge bitch to write, you have to be intensely particular about the language you use and be sure to outline all of your ideological beliefs down to most minute details-- it can be super stressful to write just a single page. I plan to find a library to settle into and tackle the task-- but first I have to find the library... ahh, nothing is simple when you move.

On a closing note, I bought a some kind of American South Western antique doo- hicky that I think is the total bomb and is in honor of the fact that I plan to start horse back riding lessons this Fall-- as any true prairie girl should. Here's a picture of this marvel... what do you think it is??? I spent time trying to figure it out on the internet but no cigar. The ladies at the antique store seemed to think it was something the horse would actually wear and the bell would alert you that it was coming your way... don't know what I think about this theory...


P.S. If you read this blog can you try and add yourself as a follower, I am scared that I am writing into the abyss





4 comments:

  1. is that the hickey hanging in your room?
    then your room matches this blog
    and it is a fine color indeed.
    winnipeg
    winnipeg
    i see myself trying to wake up on the train already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is the hicky. what do you think it is?
    the picture ended up in a weird place.

    i know, it's uncanny how my room matches the colour scheme of the blog!
    my room is actually perfect, i pre-judged the colour when painting.

    winnipeg: it's almost even stranger than the dream maddin painted...i'm not kidding. you might like. a mosquito and i are in a fight...i must go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. life unravels
    layers peel
    underneath it is we
    Ba is starting to forget the newer people

    ReplyDelete